Halakha Standard Used For Judgment
This page is an explanation of the criteria that the OMJRA uses when establishing halakha. The member rabbis of the OMJRA take the job of establishing halakha very seriously. Therefore, we do not make hasty decisions concerning halacha.
In the messianic community there is a problem when it comes to unifying believers. As a result the OMJRA recognized a need to establish a Beit Din that was capable of unifying the membership of the OMJRA. However, there will be many groups and individuals who do not agree with these rulings. But the process of unification requires the OMJRA to take a stand that is based on common beliefs.
Despite the fact some people will be displeased the OMJRA is one of the few organizations that has been courageous enough to publicly post halakha. These OMJRA rulings are posted so that other individuals and ministries will have access to the research and conclusions that led to the establishment of these rulings.
This is an outline of how each item influences the OMJRA when making a ruling concerning halakha. For items where books are listed after their authors each book by the author caries the same weight. For example, all books written by Paul, are given the same value when it comes to halakhtic rulings. We tried to maintain an order relevant to how close the text is to the source. For example, the Torah came directly from Elohim and Yeshua heard directly from God. Therefore, Yeshua and the Torah are at the top of the list.
I. Order Of Distribution
A. The Tree Of Life
ישׁוּע הנצרי בּני אלהים עץ החיּים
1. Yeshua HaNazri The Son Of Elohim The Tree Of Life
בּרֵאשִׁית הָיָה הַדָּבָר וְהַדָּבָר הָיָה אֶת־הָאֱלֺהִים וְהוּא הַדָּבָר הָיָה אֱלֺהִים׃ הוּא הָיָה מֵרֺאשׁ אֶת־הָאֱלֺהִים׃ וְהַדָּבָר לָבַשׁ בָּשָׂר וַיִּשְׁכֺּן בְּתוֹכֵנוּ וְאֶת־כְּבוֹדוֹ רָאִינוּ כִּכְבוֹד בֵּן יָחִיד לְאָבִיו מָלֵא חֶסֶד וֶאֱמֶת׃
2. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and He was the Word of God; He was in the beginning with God; And the Word became flesh, and was in the midst of us, and we beheld his glory, glory as of an only son of his father, full of grace and truth.
3. Yeshua emphasized three things
- "love the Lord your god with all your heart and soul" (Mt 22:37).
- "Love your neighbor as your self"(Mt 22:39).
- "Who ever breaks the least commandment shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven" (Mt 5:19).
B. The Written Torah
מֺשֶׁה קִבֵּל תּוֹרָה מִסִּינַי וּמְסָרָהּ לִיהוֹשֻֽׁעַ וִיהוֹשֻֽׁﬠַ לִזְקֵנִים וּזְקֵנִים לִנבִיאִים וּנְבִיאִים מְסָרֽוּהָ לְאַנְשֵׁי כְנֶֽסֶת הַגְּדוֹלָה׃ הֵם אָמְרוּ שְׁלֺשָׁה דְבָרִים׃ הֱווּ מְתוּנִים בַּדִּין וְהַעֲמִֽידוּ תַלְמִידִים הַרְבֵּה וַעֲשׂוּ סְיָג לַתּוֹרָה
1. Moshe received the Torah from Sinai and transmitted it to Yehoshua, and Yehoshua to the elders, the Elders to the Prophets, and the Prophets transmitted it to the Men of Great Assembly. They [the Men of the Great Assembly] emphasized three things: Be cautious in judgment, raise up many disciples, and make a fence around the Torah.
C. Yeshua HaNazri Is Given Authority To Transmit The Living Torah
1. Mt 7:29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
D. Yeshua HaNazri Transmitted The Living Torah To The Twelve Students
1. “He called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits” (Mark 6:7)
2. “These twelve Yeshua sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” (Matthew 10:5-6)
E. Yeshua HaNazri And The Twelve Students Transmitted The Living Torah To The Seventy Elders
1. “The Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.”(Luke 10:1)
אַחַד עָשָׂר ־ תלמידים הַצדיקים
F. The Eleven Righteous Students Transmit The Living Torah Starting In Jerusalem
1. “Yeshua came and spoke unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach the multitudes, mikveh them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Ruach HaKodesh” (Matthew 28:18-19)
2. “But Shimon, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judah, and all people that dwell at Jerusalem” (Acts 2:14)
G. A Mixed Multitude Receive The Living Torah Beginning Jerusalem
1. “Then they that gladly received his word were immersed: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.”(Acts 2:41-45)
H. The Ruach HaKodesh Maintains The Authority Of Yeshua HaNazri
1. Transmitting The Torah To Nations, Kings, Judah and Israel
2. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Ruach HaKodesh. (Acts 9:15-17)
II. Foundation For Spiritual Authority
1. Receives Authority Directly From YHVH
a. Mt 17:2-5 "And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him."
2. Speaks what YHVH Commands
a. Devarim 18:15-19 "The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; According to all that thou desires of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."
1. Received The Torah Directly From YHVH
a. Shemot 34:29-32 "And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him. And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him. And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them. And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai."
C. The Talmidim
1. Received Authority Directly From Yeshua
a. Luke 9:1 "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases."
D. The Multitudes
1. Receive Authority From The Holy Spirit
a. Acts 1:6-9 6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
III. Foundation Of Textual Authority
A. The Torah
B. The Gospels
C. Books Written By Actual Witnesses Of Yeshua Acts
2. First John & Second John & Third John
3. First Peter & Second Peter
6. Hebrews (? James Authorship)
D. The Rest Of The Tanakh
1. The Prophets
2. The Writings
E. Letters Of Paul
2. First Corinthians & Second Corinthians
7. First Thessalonians & Second Thessalonians
8. First Timothy & Second Timothy
F. Historical & Other Commentaries
IV. Beit Din Confirmation
A. Confirmation By Scripture
1. At Least 2 Passages Required
a. if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. Mt 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.(Matthew 18:16)
b. This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.(2-Corinthians 13:1)
B. Conformation By Beit Din
1. To introduce New Halakha
a. 75% Of Member Rabbis Attendance Required For Beit Din To Decide Halakha
i. 65% or Greater Rabbis In Attendance, In Agreement With The Purposed Halakha
b. Only One Vote Accepted From Each Congregation With A Rabbi In Attendance
Notes: ? Scholarly debate exists concerning who wrote Hebrews. Two of the possible conclusions reached by scholars are James & Paul. The OMJRA has placed Hebrews where we have assuming James authorship. When more data becomes available this may change.